Subject: Mold in photograph albums

Mold in photograph albums

From: Debra Robinson <librobd>
Date: Wednesday, December 11, 2002
I am seeking advice on what to do about an apparent mold that has
appeared in some personal photograph albums.  The 5 albums are
probably not archival quality--being the type sold at most general
stores.  The pages are a white sticky that holds the photos in place
and the whole page is covered over by a plastic overlay.  The albums
were stored on the bottom shelf of a book case that stood against a
north wall, where they were probably subjected to fluctuating
temperatures.  The mold appears to have started on the album pages
and creeped onto any photographs near the site.  The photographs are
varied--old polaroids, school pictures, etc.  The mold is bright red
in color and resembles a form of foxing.  I would appreciate any
advise on what can be done to reverse the red damage done to the
photographs.  Would I be able to "clean" them with some type of
alcohol base without hurting them?   Any advice would be
appreciated.

                Distributed: Thursday, February 20, 2003