Subject: Sketching in galleries

Sketching in galleries

From: Tom Dixon <tom.dixon>
Date: Monday, February 17, 2003
We banned sketching in our galleries a number of years ago for a
several reasons, including in response to an unsolved theft of a
painting (later returned anonymously) which it was thought might be
related to "art students carrying portfolio cases around".

We are now reconsidering sketching in light of inquiries from
artists.  We are considering allowing sketching by appointment,
using only a gallery issued drawing board and stool, and using only
dry media.  Times would probably be very specific.

I'd be very grateful for copies or precis of written policies either
pro or anti sketching in public art galleries around the world.

    **** Moderator's comments: And, as always, I'd encourage you to
    contribute such documents to Conservation OnLine
    <URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu>. Send, as electronic text
    to waiscool [at] palimpsest__stanford__edu

Tom Dixon
Chief Conservator
National Gallery of Victoria
Melbourne

                Distributed: Thursday, February 20, 2003