Subject: North Carolina Preservation Consortium

North Carolina Preservation Consortium

From: Robert James <rmjames>
Date: Tuesday, February 18, 2003
Photographic Memory: Preserving Our Photograph Collections
North Carolina Preservation Consortium Annual Conference
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
April 30, 2003

Photograph collections in small, medium, and large institutions
require appropriate preservation management for the survival of our
visual heritage. This conference is designed for archivists,
librarians, conservators, curators in historic sites and museums,
record managers, and others responsible for the preservation of
photograph collections.  Students and faculty in heritage
disciplines are also welcome.  Subjects to be addressed will include
photo identification, storage and handling, cold storage, nitrate
and acetate negative storage, photographic conservation, and
salvaging photographs from fire, water, and mold damage.  Our
scheduled speakers are:

    Gary Albright
    Chief Residency Photograph Conservator
    George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and
        Film
    <URL:http://www.eastman.org/>

    Marion Hunter
    Photograph Conservator in Private Practice

    Michael K. Lee
    Director of Conservation
    Etherington Conservation Center
    <URL:http://www.donetherington.com/>

    Doug Nishimura
    Research Scientist
    Image Permanence Institute
    <URL:http://www.rit.edu/~661www1/sub_pages/8contents.htm>

Location: Our host for this year's conference is the Z. Smith
Reynolds Library at Wake Forest University.  The library holds over
1 million book volumes, and more than 7,500 print periodicals, 250
electronic databases, and 400 electronic journals.  Special
collections includes Rare Books and Manuscripts, University
Archives, and the North Carolina Baptist Historical Collection.  The
library director is Rhoda K. Channing.

For local information, contact:

    Craig Fansler
    Preservation Department
    Z. Smith Reynolds Library
    Wake Forest University
    336-758-5482
    fanslerc [at] wfu__edu

The conference will begin at 9:30 AM and conclude at 4:00 PM.  Lunch
and refreshments are included in the registration fee.  A vegetarian
selection will be available.  There will be time to network with
colleagues, speakers, and vendors.  The NCPC business meeting, with
election of officers and new board members, will take place after
lunch is served.

To Register: The registration fee is $40.00 for employees of NCPC
member institutions and individual members, and $60.00 for
non-members.  Late registrations after April 21 are $60.00 for NCPC
members and $80.00 for non-members.  No refunds will be given after
April 1.   Substitutions are permitted.  Please print and complete
the online registration form at
<URL:http://www.ncpreservation.org/Registration.htm> and mail the
form with your check, payable to the North Carolina Preservation
Consortium, to

    North Carolina Preservation Consortium
    Post Office Box 2651
    Durham NC 27715-2651

For registration information contact;

    Roger Loyd, NCPC Treasurer
    Divinity School Library
    Duke University
    919-660-3452
    roger.loyd [at] duke__edu

The North Carolina Preservation Consortium (NCPC) is a 501C3
nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation of educational,
historical, and cultural collections in our state's archives,
libraries, museums, historic sites, document depositories, and
record centers.  Our preservation mission addresses the proper care
and handling of materials; storage and environmental control;
disaster preparedness and recovery; the repair, reformatting and
conservation of damaged items; and collection security.  NCPC
supports the preservation of information content, and the medium as
artifact, in new and traditional formats for present and future
generations.

Membership: We would like to welcome your institution to the
preservation consortium.  Our minimum annual membership fee is only
$100.00. Higher levels of support are voluntary.  Benefits of NCPC
membership include discounts on our continuing education workshops
and annual conference.  Employees of institutional members are
eligible to hold leadership positions as officers and on the
consortium's board of directors, committees, and task groups. Member
institutions are also recognized for their contributions on our web
site.  The success of our state wide preservation program depends on
the talents, diversity, and generosity of our colleagues.  Together
we can make a difference in the survival of our heritage
collections. A membership application is available at
<URL:http://www.ncpreservation.org/instapplication.html>

Have a question about NCPC?  Contact any member of our board of
directors. <URL:http://www.ncpreservation.org/board.html>

Robert James
Director of Library Services
Bruce I. Howell Library
Wake Technical Community College
9101 Fayetteville Road
Raleigh NC 27603
919-662-3607
Fax: 919-662-3575

                Distributed: Thursday, February 20, 2003