Subject: Survey on memorial artifacts

Survey on memorial artifacts

From: Mark Sandy <m.sandy>
Date: Thursday, February 13, 2003
The following is posted on behalf of Lauren Farber.

    author, with "memorial art survey" in the Subject: line. Or
    write to

        Lauren Farber
        Conservation Department
        Camberwell College of Arts
        Wilson Road
        London SE5 8LU
        UK

    I am currently a masters student conducting research on the
    curation and conservation of memorial artifacts and any related
    social issues. I am hoping that conservators, curators, and
    archivists would be willing to answer a few questions below
    regarding your experiences with these types of materials.

    I am particularly interested in memorials created by common
    people as opposed to commissioned artists, in response to public
    events as well as private. They can even be in response to
    long-term events such as the AIDS epidemic. The results will be
    included in a masters thesis in conservation for Camberwell
    College of Art, London Institute, as well as forming the basis
    for further research.

    1.  Are you involved in the conservation, curation, research or
        archiving of memorial artifacts by non-commissioned, folk,
        itinerant, anonymous artists and/or vernacular artists?

        Conservation___
        Curation___
        Research___
        Archiving___
        Other______________________

    2.  What are the primary materials of these artifacts?

        Fabric___
        Paper___
        Paint___
        Mixed/Media___
        Sculptural___
        Digital___
        Other:

    3.  From when do these artifacts date?

        1970 to present___
        1900 to 1969___
        19th century___
        18th century___
        Prior___

    4.  From what country(ies) do these artifacts originate?

    5.  Are these objects part of an ethnic or indigenous people's
        traditions?

        Yes___ No___

    6.  Is there any religious imagery shown?

        Yes___ No___ Some___

    7. If so, what religion?

    8.  Are you aware of any ethical issues concerning the
        conservation or display of these artifacts?

        Yes___ No___

    9.  Are you aware of there having been any controversial
        reactions to the display of such artifacts?

        Yes___ No___

    10. Have you ever encountered any conservation or curatorial
        problems with these artifacts?

        Yes___ No___

    11. If so, what were they?

    12. Would you be willing to discuss the above questions?

        Yes___ No___

    13. Would you like to learn about the outcome of my research?

        Yes___ No___

    14. If you are willing to be contacted, please fill out the
    following:

    Name:
    Title:
    Institution or Organization: