Subject: Marking

Marking

From: Heather Lomas <heatherlomas>
Date: Friday, February 14, 2003
    **** Moderator's comments: This query comes from a person who is
    not on the DistList and will not see any responses that are
    posted here.  Please respond directly to sender and if of
    general interest post it here as well

I was wondering if you or your colleagues would be able to help via
your email list with enquiries MDA <URL:http://www.mda.org.uk> is
receiving regarding the labelling and marking of museum objects with
Paraloid B72 and acetone.  The MDA factsheets state that paraloid
B72 granules should be mixed at 20% weight to volume with acetone, a
base layer applied and then Rotring ink be used to label and then a
further coat of the varnish applied.  Museums have contacted us
because when applying the top coat of varnish the ink is wiped away.
We obviously do not wish to provide advice, which will harm the
objects and would be grateful for suggestions of improving this
situation.  If the percentage of acetone to granules is increased
and the solution made "thicker" would this help, or is there more
suitable ink we could recommend? It has been suggested by one museum
that acrylic paint applied with a small brush is effective and does
not dissolve readily.

Heather Lomas
mda: Supporting Cultural Information Management
mda advice point
advicepoint [at] mda__org__uk
mda Advice Point +44 1223 366097

                 Distributed: Friday, February 14, 2003