Subject: Storing photographs

Storing photographs

From: Anne Margrethe Gundersen <anne.gundersen>
Date: Tuesday, February 11, 2003
We're in the process of setting up a monitored storing room for
photographic material, and one of the issues we are dealing with at
the moment is what kind of material we should use for storing the
various photographic materials. As a paper conservator I am involved
in the planning and execution of the task. I have so far been in
touch with some other archives, both in Norway and abroad. My
impression is that many are using paper envelopes and 4-flaps for
glass plates and the likes, whereas photographic paper prints are
housed in polyester "L-sleeves" (Mylar/Melinex),on the assumption
that the overall condition is good (no flaking emulsion etc).
However there seems to be a certain scepticism on polyester sleeves
because of the risk of humidity entrapment. I am aware of this
aspect but had the impression that it would not pose any real danger
as long as the storage room is monitored according to recommended
temperature and RH levels.

As we are unsure which material we should choose for housing the
various photos; my question is whether to go for paper
envelopes/folders for everything. Or maybe a combination of paper
for glass plates etc. and polyester based sleeves for the prints?
Any kind of information on this topic is very much appreciated.

Furthermore we would like to know about other institutions'
experience with different kinds of welding machines for making up
the polyester sleeves, should we in the end choose to go for this
kind of material.

Anne M. Gundersen
Paper conservator
National Archives of Norway