Subject: Videos on conservation

Videos on conservation

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl>
Date: Wednesday, February 12, 2003
Theresa Fairbanks-Harris <theresa.fairbanks-harris [at] yale__edu> writes

>We are looking for educational videos on the papermaking process,
>especially hand-papermaking.  Any and all suggestions are welcome,
>though we are especially interested in ones with high production
>qualities.

There are basically three modes of hand papermaking: early, Asian,
and European.  Within European hand papermaking there are three
modes: hand beaten fiber; stamped fiber; ground fiber.

Videotapes which show all elements are few and far between and some
of the best are protected by copyright, and are not always
available.

In January, 2003, Elaine Koretsky <paperroad [at] aol__com> published a
videotape about sheet formation which shows early, Asian, and
European methods of making sheets of paper. "Sheet Formation Around
the World"

In 1991 I produced a short videotape about the construction of a
medieval-style papermill (stampmill) which I designed and built in
Idaho.

The Friends of Dard Hunter has a video library which contains tapes
showing various hand papermaking mills and various aspects of fiber
preparation.

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217