Subject: Lighting

Lighting

From: Amy Junker <amyjk_uk>
Date: Monday, February 3, 2003
As part of my research project I am looking generally at the effects
of light on works on paper in exhibitions and specifically on a
problem area for exhibition in the institution where I am interning.
The aim is to produce a safe environment for display.

I am using the Blue Wool Standard for testing and was hoping that
some one could tell me how to get a precise measurement from the
Blue Wool. Comparing with a "Gray Scale" has been advised but I'm
not sure what this is or where to find it..

Could any one also tell me what methods they use to protect objects
in exhibitions from visible light. We are looking at some UV filters
which block out considerable amounts of visible light. The light
levels cannot be too low as the display case is next to a reading
area.

Also, and finally, I would be grateful if anyone could share their
methods of how objects are tracked regrading their display and
exposure time.

Amy Junker
Kress Intern
New York Botanical Gardens