Subject: Rubber stamp

Rubber stamp

From: Mark Clarke <markey>
Date: Saturday, January 25, 2003
In a book I am examining, there is what looks like a print from a
rubber stamp, on the flyleaf. Under a stereo microscope I see very
thin ink, with virtually no relief (i.e. not sticking up above the
page) and no impression/indentation, and no bleeding. The ink is
black. I heard that rubber stamps were invented circa 1850, but a
greater age has been suggested for this one. Does anyone have any
suggestions as to what it might be if it *is* older, or
alternatively, can I be reasonably sure (as I feel I am) that it is
simply from 1850?

                 Distributed: Friday, January 31, 2003