Subject: History of web sites concerning conservation

History of web sites concerning conservation

From: Giancarlo Buzzanca <web.icr>
Date: Wednesday, January 29, 2003
In preparation for a report on the web diffusion in the conservation
field (in Italian language)  I'm working to collect, as background
notices, information about the first web sites (URL, technical and
content character, goals, etc.) related to conservation activities.

Looking into the huge list of messages in Conservation DistList I've
found a first URL quoted  in the message of Jim Croft Dated 13 Jan
1994 (Conservation DistList Instance: 7:51 Tuesday, January 18,
1994); the URL included in the signature of Jim is still working!
But I'm not sure that this message is really the first that includes
link to web based resources.

Do you have any information about the first web sites (probably
created in 1994) in the conservation field and/or documents,
studies, papers or publication?

A good starting point is the page
<URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/common/cool-background.shtml>
where it is possible to extract the information "June 1994. At this
point CoOL operated as a triad WAIS, Gopher, and Web servers running
simultaneously. (...)".

Thanks in advance for yours contribution and information.

Giancarlo Buzzanca,
Head, Web Department
Istituto Centrale per il Restauro
p.za S. Francesco di Paola, 9