Subject: Tall case clock

Tall case clock

From: Jill Haley <jill.haley>
Date: Friday, January 24, 2003
The management of my museum would like to display one of our
long-case clocks and have it working. It was made by John Vise of
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire around 1780 and has been in storage for many
years and is not in working order. We have had two clock repairers
in to quote the work (this is a small city with limited experts
available), and both would, to varying degrees, repair and replace
some parts (bearings, bushes, wheel shafts and pinions). We are now
considering the implications of this work on the integrity of the
object. Management are keen to have the clock working to enhance
visitor experience, but others have preservation-related concerns.
Has anyone been through a similar situation?

Jill Haley
Collections and Research
Otago Museum
PO Box 6202