Subject: Waterlogged archaeological leather

Waterlogged archaeological leather

From: Jim Spriggs <jspriggs>
Date: Thursday, January 16, 2003
I am helping to put together a chapter on the conservation of
leather for a forthcoming Butterworths/Heinemann publication, and
would like to hear from anyone with recent experience of new
techniques for recording, cleaning and stabilizing waterlogged
leather; or comments on the success (or otherwise) of old treatments
and re-treatment programmes. I would be particularly interested to
hear from conservators whose thoughts and experiences on this
subject area have not been published, or pointers towards relevant
recent articles in languages other than English that I may have
missed. Any information provided will be appropriately credited if
used.

Jim Spriggs
Head of Conservation
York Archaeological Trust