Subject: Temporary storage

Temporary storage

From: Gretchen Kriner <marigold>
Date: Saturday, January 11, 2003
The art center where I work recently constructed a large wooden
shelving unit for the temporary storage of 2-D art (mainly canvas,
artist board, and framed paper pieces).  I expressed concern about
the use of wood in a storage apparatus as I am aware of the problems
of off-gassing, acidity, etc.  A search of the Cons DistList and a
reading of other sources revealed the most serious problems
associated with wood shelving and some solutions for dealing with
these problems (sealants, barrier paper/polyester film, etc.).
However these sources usually addressed the topic of permanent
storage rather than temporary.

Essentially the art center wants some solid evidence that temporary
storage of art in the unfinished wood shelving unit would be
relatively detrimental to the artwork and therefore worth the
money/time/personnel (all of which are at a premium) needed to
correct the problem.

The shelves are made of normal everyday plywood.  "Shelves" is a
misnomer as the unit is actually more enclosed; it is composed of
tall, somewhat narrow, deep cubbyholes. The artwork would be stored
in it for up to two months time at the most.

Finally, if it is advised that we seal the wood what sealant is
currently recommended by the conservation community that can also be
easily gained by a semi-rural art center strapped for cash?  I
understand that wood sealants have been discussed before in this
forum, but one of the resources I read stated that I should be
consulting with a conservator about the most current products, hence
why I have asked the question again.

Gretchen Kriner
Exhibitions Volunteer
Fitton Center for Creative Arts