Subject: Fire suppression systems

Fire suppression systems

From: Richard Trela <rtrela>
Date: Friday, January 17, 2003
Laramie Hickey-Friedman <lhickey-friedman [at] menil__org>, on behalf of
Kelly Pike, writes

>    I would like to ask any museums who have recently been built (or
>    currently under construction) or who have recently undergone
>    major renovations which fire suppression system they have chosen
>    to install. If it's gas, which one?  If a sprinkler system, wet
>    or dry pipe? And, of course, why this chosen method?  We are
>    currently replacing our Halon system and any feedback is
>    appreciated.  Also, if any museums have already replaced their
>    Halon systems we'd love to hear which system they choose and
>    why.

The oldest galleries were recently renovated.  The museum has no
fire suppression.  The renovated areas received independent firing
dry pipe system.  Independent to focus fire suppression only where
needed and dry pipe to help prevent damage from accidental leaks or
non-fire related occurrences.  In the event of fire without a fire
suppression system the fire department uses high pressure water
hoses where they see fit.  Building occupants usually have little or
no say in directing these men in their tasks.  This presents a huge
risk compared to the system we installed.  Also good fire
suppression systems remove 50% of the total risk to loss or damage
to collection material.

Richard Trela
Sr. Paintings Conservator/Director
Conservation Center