Subject: Corrosion

Corrosion

From: Patrick Gallagher <drrust>
Date: Thursday, January 16, 2003
Alex Flinn <alex.flinn [at] armouries__org__uk> writes

>Various iron alloy objects in our collection have developed
>particularly aggressive and unusual patches of corrosion. ...

The corrosion he describes is commonly associated with contaminated
iron in humid environments.  David Harvey in his posting suggests
several sources of contaminants. Other possible sources of
contamination are atmospheric industrial pollutants or sea salt
particles entrained in the atmosphere. These contaminants will lower
the relative humidity required to initiate and support corrosion.

Patrick Gallagher
Materials Preservation

                 Distributed: Friday, January 17, 2003