Subject: History of technology web sites

History of technology web sites

From: W. T. Chase <tchase4921>
Date: Saturday, January 11, 2003
Sharon Cather <sharon.cather [at] courtauld__ac__uk> writes

>For introductory lectures on the physical history of works of art
>(for art history students) I have been looking for useful web sites,
>but with remarkably little success. Suggestions would be gratefully
>received.

Probably the primary Internet sources for Sharon's Query would be
AATA and BCIN, but the questions of search strategy is not trivial.

A search of the Internet with Works of Art Examination brought up a
number of interesting references, including the work by Ron Spronk
et. al. on Mondrian which won the CAA/Heritage Preservation Prize
this year.

I have found the Routledge Encyclopedia of the History of Technology
to be a very useful general reference (ed. by Ian McNeil, Routledge,
London, 1990, 1996 - ISBN 0-415-14792-1).  In this case, however,
the only reference to paint is "Cave Paintings" and even corrosion
protection only mentions cathodic protection and galvanizing.

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 15, 2003