Subject: Microfilming bound manuscripts

Microfilming bound manuscripts

From: Robyn Waymouth <robyn.waymouth>
Date: Monday, January 6, 2003
We have numerous volumes in our collection of manuscript records
bound in heavy Kalamazoo, or similar binders.  Many of the pages are
tearing at the binding and have other wear-and-tear damage.  They
are currently being unbound in order to microfilm them and we are
concerned about rebinding them in the current form.  They will be
boxed after filming and will very rarely be accessed again, but we
are concerned about the risks of packing the pages loose--it would
be so easy for them to be disordered at some time in the future.

The volume that is causing most concern is in a Twinlock Holborn
Thong Ledger from the early 1960s.  The pages are 11 1/4 in x 9 1/4
in, bound on a short side.  There is script on both sides of the
paper.  The pages are slotted to slip over a woven strap which is
tensioned up by a screw arrangement in the thick back cover.

The covers tend to be "masonite"--a rigid wood particle board of
unknown acidity and there are a variety of metal fittings.

Any thoughts about rebinding, putting the pages in sleeves and
binding them, using the original covers, etc?  Our budget is zilch
and any work will be done by an archivist.

As an adjunct to this, what are you thoughts on using Filmoplast
tape to repair the pages before they are filmed?

Robyn Waymouth
Archivist
Royal Women's Hospital
132 Grattan Street