Subject: Foam-laminated garments

Foam-laminated garments

From: Jerry Shiner <info>
Date: Friday, December 20, 2002
Doon Laura Lovett <doon_lovett [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I am studying a group of 1960's foam laminated garments ...
>... My research
>is focussing on the physical and chemical characterisation of the
>foam: whether damaging degradation products are released and
>preventive measures for storage. If time allows, I hope to consider
>possible interventive treatments. I would like to make contact with
>anyone who has or is working with foam.

If oxygen plays a part in the degradation of the foam, then storing
the items in an oxygen-free microclimate would slow or halt the
changes. Mitsubishi Gas Chemical makes a transparent high-barrier
film (Escal) and an oxygen scavenger that does not change the
moisture levels in the microclimate (RP-K type). Storing the items
in sealed bags would also protect nearby artifacts from off gassed
degradation by-products--RP will also trap many corrosive gases.
More information is at <URL:http://www.keepsafe.ca>

My late uncle once purchased, in a fit of visionary inventory
acquisition, hundreds of yards of printed vinyl backed with black
foam and fabric. I believe the material was purchased for making
"go-go boot slippers" but he chickened out, or the market changed,
and the footwear was never made. I quietly "liberated" a number of
rolls from his stock room. The vinyl was printed with garish black
and white swirls, and the rolls were about 44 inches wide--they made
amazing curtain walls and light traps for my darkrooms--truly very
sixties, but then so was I at one time.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems
Supplies and Solutions for oxygen-free and micro climate storage

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 8, 2003