Subject: Ticker tape

Ticker tape

From: Deborah Lau <deborah.lau>
Date: Thursday, January 9, 2003
John Castronovo <jcc [at] nac__net> writes

>I have in my possession a faded strip of ticker tape. The owner
>would like me to reveal the writing on it so that it can be
>reproduced. Infrared photography up to 800nm reveals nothing. Any
>suggestions?

Other non-destructive imaging techniques include using bandpass
filters in the visible spectrum. There is a portable instrument
designed for forensic use called the "Polilight" which is remarkably
useful for revealing barely visible or invisible markings on
surfaces. For more information see
<URL:http://www.bvda.com/EN/sect16/en_16_1b.html>. You may be able
to approach local coroners offices or forensic science laboratories
to arrange a loan as we have done in the past.

You may also like to consider fluorescence imaging with UV. If the
print was an ink the pigment may have faded but the resin should
still be there, even if aged or degraded. Resins are generally
photoactive and you may have some success this way.

Deborah Lau

Analytical and Conservation Scientist
CSIRO MIT
Corrosion Science and Surface Design