Subject: Marking

Marking

From: Paloma Young <paloma_y79>
Date: Wednesday, December 11, 2002
I have just been handed a rather large and disorganized collection
of some surprisingly precious 18th, 19th and 20th century garments.
In an attempt to create a consistent catalogue I am replacing the
many odd labels that have been left in the pieces over the years. In
the past, labels were made with Sanford Sharpie pens on twill tape
and then sewn on. Considering the noxious smell provided by these
pens, I am wondering if they present a danger to the textiles. Would
there be a better alternative for labeling?

Paloma Young
University of California Berkeley

                Distributed: Thursday, December 19, 2002