Subject: Foam-laminated garments

Foam-laminated garments

From: Doon Laura Lovett <doon_lovett>
Date: Wednesday, December 11, 2002
I am studying a group of 1960's foam laminated garments as the
subject of my dissertation topic for the MA in Textile Conservation,
at the Textile Conservation Centre, Southampton University, UK. The
garments consist of four dresses and one pair of hotpants. The
garments are similar in that they are all made from two
machine-knitted fabrics that were originally adhered to a foam
interlining. Severe degradation has meant failure of lamination and
subsequent break up and powdering of the foam layer. Early
investigations suggest that this foam is polyurethane. My research
is focussing on the physical and chemical characterisation of the
foam: whether damaging degradation products are released and
preventive measures for storage. If time allows, I hope to consider
possible interventive treatments. I would like to make contact with
anyone who has or is working with foam.

                Distributed: Thursday, December 19, 2002