Subject: Klucel

Klucel

From: Stefanie Rotard <stefsbriefkasten>
Date: Wednesday, December 11, 2002
James Elwing <elgur [at] acay__com__au> writes

>Mark Vine <100436.3447 [at] compuserve__com> writes
>
>>I have received an enquiry from a book conservator without internet
>>access regarding the use of Hydroxypropyl cellulose (also known as
>>Klucel G or Klucel E) as a consolidant on a calf skin binding.
>>
>>The conservator wishes to apply Klucel G as a 4% solution in
>>isopropyl alcohol but is hesitant as to the actual means of dilution
>>in such a solvent. Can anyone with practical experience of using
>>Klucel E or G provide some guidance.
>
>I do not think that Klucel can be dissolved in isopropyl alcohol;
>perhaps it can if intermediate solvent ethanol is used? Why bother?
>It dissolves in ethanol.

Klucel G dissolves easily in isopropyl alcohol and the gel was very
clear and homogeneous. It dissolves better in isopropyl alcohol than
in ethanol. I used Klucel G for mending tests on fish-skin in my
dissertation (German Diploma) project. Goldbeaters-skin and died
mulberry paper and a 7% solution were used for the tests. The tack
was quite unsatisfying but in this case an water-based adhesive
wouldn't fit because the fish-skin is very sensitive of water. I
tried Methocel A4M in water/ethanol 1:1 as well and it worked
better.

Stefanie Rotard
student object conservation
Stuttgart
Germany

                Distributed: Thursday, December 19, 2002