Subject: Certification

Certification

From: Margaret Holben Ellis <mhe1>
Date: Friday, December 6, 2002
I received my certification ballot and returned my YES vote
immediately, in the hopes that I might be among the first to affirm
that the conservation profession has indeed matured to the point
where we are able to hold ourselves up to more than introspection.
We may not possess the number of basic texts deemed necessary by
opponents of certification, but we do have the knowledge and skills
to make informed and responsible decisions. Certification may not
benefit me directly, but I am convinced that it will serve my
students well by bolstering the "body of knowledge" already in
existence.  Furthermore, it can only strengthen the critical role of
conservation education in general.

Margaret Holben Ellis
Professor of Conservation
Conservation Center