Subject: Kalvar microfilm

Kalvar microfilm

From: Douglas Treado <douglast>
Date: Friday, December 6, 2002
Walter's "Fair Warning" message reminded me of a preservation
problem which we dealt with in regard to collections with 35mm
Kalvar roll microfilm--which was produced in the 1960-70's and was
of poor quality.  If this film remains in collections with
non-Kalvar film, the good film (such as Kodak HQ Silver)can be
affected by the deterioration/gaseous emissions of the Kalvar film.

This past year, we were able to duplicate hundreds of good service
copy rolls of this "bad" Kalvar film for a major research library,
and the Kalvar film could then be destroyed.  It might be wise for
librarians and archivists to look at their microfilm holdings to see
if they have Kalvar microfilm mixed in with their non-Kalvar film.
If they find any, these should be (at least) separated from the
non-Kalvar film to prevent contamination.  I would also suggest that
they convert their Kalvar film holdings to non-Kalvar film.

Douglas Scott Treado, MA
Project and Sales Manager
Challenge Industries Microfilm
402 East State Street