Subject: Chestnut powder

Chestnut powder

From: Michael Hojlund Rasmussen <mhr>
Date: Friday, December 6, 2002
Sandrine Decoux <sandrine.decoux [at] nmgw__ac__uk> writes

>In the article Research and Restoration of the map 'The Borderlands
>of Latvi-Russia in 1782/1784' by Arija Ubarste (IPC Conference
>Papers, London, 1997), the author describes the use of chestnut
>powder, flushed through with water, to reduce staining.

The use of chestnut powder is also described in the following
article:

   Grazina Drimatii.
   "Restoration of Four Globes From the 17-18th Centuries", in
   Papers of the Conference on Book and Paper Conservation held in
   Budapest 4.-7. September 1990 pp.211-216, Technical Association
   of Paper and Printing Industry and National Szichinui Library,
   Budapest 1992.

In this article the procedure is well described and apparently it
works as a cleaning method for paper. Unfortunately there is no
explanation for that particular choice of cleaning material, but it
should be considered that in those days the range of materials
available to the conservators may have been limited in Eastern
Europe. I have no personal experience with chestnut powder.

Michael Hojlund Rasmussen
Paper Conservator
Vejle County Conservation Centre
H.O. Wildenskovsvej 22, Brejning