Subject: Netherlands Organization for Applied Research (TNO)

Netherlands Organization for Applied Research (TNO)

From: John Havermans <j.havermans>
Date: Thursday, December 5, 2002
After about 10 years working at the Netherlands Organization for
Applied Research (TNO) on Paper science and Technology, my research
group related to paper products and preservation research is now
integrated with the TNO Institute for Building and Constructions
research. Here we expand our research to the relation of indoor
environment and material behaviour.

More information can be found in the letter below:

    Do you know that 1 + 1 = 3? Of course we all learned previously
    at school that it should be 2, however due to the latest changes
    made within the organisation of The Netherlands Organization for
    Applied Scientific Research (TNO) Institute of Industrial
    Technology we can conclude that we are reaching close to the
    value of 3.

    The changes within TNO Institute of Industrial Technology,
    however, had some negative effects on e.g. communication.
    Therefore we hope to improve this by means of this letter.

    Since October 1, 2002, the management of TNO Institute of
    industrial Technology decided to close the department on Paper
    and Board research. Of course, this sounds drastic, but based on
    our introduction of this letter we have the feeling that this
    will improve finally the quality of our applied research and
    answering your specific questions. The group working mainly on
    paper machine and process technology has found a new place
    within the TNO Institute Environment, Energy and Process
    Innovation (MEP), located in Apeldoorn.

    The research group on paper conservation/preservation and
    products research received a facelift and found a place within
    TNO Buildings and Constructions, division Healthy Buildings and
    Installations. We will remain housed in Delft, The Netherlands.
    Please note that In January 2003 our new building will be opened
    as well, thus our visitors address will change soon.

    Due to this facelift, a new initiative has been started in order
    to deepen and broaden our working activities from the last
    years, especially related to conservation and preservation of
    our cultural heritage. Our working field will be directed to the
    effects of the indoor environment on the materials stored within
    this environment. Of course this also counts for the vice versa.
    Some concrete examples are developments of safe storage
    conditions for our indoor movable cultural heritage,
    improvements for materials in production processes, relation
    human-material-indoor environment and changes of the material
    behaviour related to changes in the indoor environment.

    Of course, we will continue to answer questions in the field of
    paper products and paper conservation.

    Please feel free to contact us or just drop by if there is a
    need for further information related to our working area.

    We do hope to enter a new and trustful era, together with you.

    Yours sincerely,

    TNO Building and Constructions Research
    Department Healthy Buildings and Installations

Dr J.B.G.A. Havermans
Project leader Environment and Materials
PO BOX 49
2600 AA Delft
The Netherlands

                Distributed: Thursday, December 5, 2002