Subject: Mold on terracotta

Mold on terracotta

From: Emily Clough <emily_clough>
Date: Tuesday, December 3, 2002
I am currently treating a Canosa ware terracotta askos whose
pigmented kaolinite slip has become stained with mildew. The mildew
is visually disfiguring.

While we would not normally remove these stains, I was curious to
know whether anyone was aware of the chemical composition of mildew
stains, and whether any promising strategies for its removal have
been attempted.

Emily Clough
Conservation Intern
Bristol Museum and Art Gallery UK
+44 117 9223617

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 4, 2002