Subject: Klucel

Klucel

From: James Elwing <elgur>
Date: Friday, November 29, 2002
Mark Vine <100436.3447 [at] compuserve__com> writes

>I have received an enquiry from a book conservator without internet
>access regarding the use of Hydroxypropyl cellulose (also known as
>Klucel G or Klucel E) as a consolidant on a calf skin binding.
>
>The conservator wishes to apply Klucel G as a 4% solution in
>isopropyl alcohol but is hesitant as to the actual means of dilution
>in such a solvent. Can anyone with practical experience of using
>Klucel E or G provide some guidance.

I do not think that Klucel can be dissolved in isopropyl alcohol;
perhaps it can if intermediate solvent ethanol is used? Why bother?
It dissolves in ethanol. A 1-4% anhydrous ethanol solution will work
satisfactorily on calf, any book leather, preferably thinner gel
solution. Mix as if aqueous methyl cellulose; avoid clumping, allow
to stand overnight plus, seal and keep solution away from light.
Anhydrous because old leather; red rot, etc, shrinks and blackens
with water; anhydrous methylated spirits will do; I prefer some kind
of lab grade ethanol. Dilute further if reverse sheep or goat.
always better if applied as 2 or more thin gel applications rather
than one thick gel; better to leave each application a few hours;
probably because of absorption of water vapour in air as anhydrous
ethanol dries.

James Elwing
Archives Conservator
Powerhouse Museum, Sydney

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 4, 2002