Subject: Klucel

Klucel

From: Julie Jones <jjones>
Date: Thursday, November 28, 2002
Mark Vine <100436.3447 [at] compuserve__com> writes

>I have received an enquiry from a book conservator without internet
>access regarding the use of Hydroxypropyl cellulose (also known as
>Klucel G or Klucel E) as a consolidant on a calf skin binding.
>
>The conservator wishes to apply Klucel G as a 4% solution in
>isopropyl alcohol but is hesitant as to the actual means of dilution
>in such a solvent. Can anyone with practical experience of using
>Klucel E or G provide some guidance.

I recently used a small quantity (20ml) of 5% Klucel E in IMS to
consolidate a waterlogged jet bead.  The instructions for diluting
Klucel which were sent with the technical information sheet seemed
rather confusing, and advised using a pre-slurried solution made up
in hot water (50-60 deg. C) or glycerine. The datasheet said that
Klucel hydrates slowly, and since I was using IMS rather than water,
I decided to add 1g of Klucel E to 6ml  of IMS in a screw-top jar,
stir and then add a further 14ml IMS. The first solution was a thick
gel-like solution; when the IMS was added, small lumps of the gel
were dispersed in the solution, but I just stirred until these had
dissolved, which took perhaps 10 minutes. The result was a thick but
clear solution which worked well.
Hope this helps,

Julie Jones
Conservator,
York Archaeological Trust

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 4, 2002