Subject: Armor

Armor

From: Suzanne Kitto <suzanne.kitto>
Date: Friday, November 29, 2002
With reference to the conservation of Armour I completely back the
comments of Edward Hunter from the Met (see Conservation DistList
Instance: 16:35 Monday, November 25, 2002).  I would also comment
that Biox gel is far to aggressive especially if decoration such as
gilding is present.  Any such chemical treatments should be avoided
on this sort of material as they can lead to irreversible damage.
There is no substitute for mechanical cleaning, yes it is a
relatively slow process but that's so often the nature of
conservation.

Suzanne Kitto
Senior Conservator
Royal Armouries
Armouries Drive
Leeds LS10 1LT
UK

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 4, 2002