Subject: Kodak Professional Copy Film 4125

Kodak Professional Copy Film 4125

From: Jim Conway <jmconway>
Date: Wednesday, November 27, 2002
Valery Monahan <valery.monahan [at] gov__yk__ca> writes

>I am writing on behalf of a local heritage contractor who has been
>doing preservation copying of photographic collections for Yukon
>museums. For a number of years, he has used Kodak Professional Copy
>Film 4125 for this purpose and been very happy with the results.
>
>Unfortunately, due to the periodic nature of this work, he missed
>the Kodak company's announcement of the discontinuation of this film
>and was unable to do any bulk purchasing before their deadline.

Kodak now recommends using TMAX 100 however I've found that the
Ilford Ortho Plus B&W Copy Film has very similar characteristics to
the discontinued film and is more suitable for the intended purpose.

The Ortho emulsion is much the same as the discontinued film in
enhancing faded images and processing requires only a very slight
increase in time to equal the tone ranges that we were obtaining
with Pro Copy.  One major difference, the "retouching base" that
Kodak offered is no longer available in any film that I know of so
anyone who is accustom to negative retouching with graphite pencils
will have to switch to dye retouching or revert to using a
retouching fluid.

James M Conway
Timemark Photo Conservators
Oregon City, Oregon USA

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 4, 2002