Subject: Certification

Certification

From: Debra Hess Norris <dhnorris>
Date: Tuesday, December 3, 2002
I have been interested to read the many comments in the Conservation
DistList focused on the advantages and disadvantages of a
certification program. This dialogue is important.

I urge the AIC to move forward in the development of a certification
program. In doing so, I am confident that together we can and will
create a model that is objective and inclusive, respected and
embraced by conservation and allied professionals, and understood by
the public. Certification, combined with outreach and advocacy, will
enhance public credibility of and confidence in our profession--I do
not believe it will lead to increased litigation. Sam Harris
(attorney, historic architect and engineer) has explained repeatedly
that liability exposure is not a function of certification.
Re-certification will provide opportunities for all conservation
professionals to strengthen and enhance their knowledge and skills.
The AIC Qualifications Task Force has worked diligently to define
minimum skills, knowledge and abilities--this work remains crucial
to the certification process and will guide us in identifying and
developing a body of knowledge.

While we must accept that certification will not prevent unqualified
individuals from practicing as conservators, it will identify those
who have demonstrated an acceptable level of competence and
commitment.

I remain confident that certification will unite and advance our
profession and is critical for our future.

Debbie Hess Norris
Chair
Art Conservation Department
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716

                Distributed: Wednesday, December 4, 2002