Subject: Klucel

Klucel

From: Mark Vine <100436.3447>
Date: Wednesday, November 27, 2002
I have received an enquiry from a book conservator without internet
access regarding the use of Hydroxypropyl cellulose (also known as
Klucel G or Klucel E) as a consolidant on a calf skin binding.

The conservator wishes to apply Klucel G as a 4% solution in
isopropyl alcohol but is hesitant as to the actual means of dilution
in such a solvent. Can anyone with practical experience of using
Klucel E or G provide some guidance.

Whilst both our offices here in the UK and Springfield, Virginia
have a host of technical and related information including MSDS data
on both grades of Klucel we have nothing pertaining to the actual
means of the dilution of this product.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources (UK) LTD
Oxford, England

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 27, 2002