Subject: Vikane

Vikane

From: Valerie Free <vfree>
Date: Monday, November 25, 2002
Does anyone have experience with adverse effects of Vikane gas on
museum collections?  We are scheduled to fumigate our natural
history museum galleries.  Due to the presence of cigarette beetles
the concentration required  is ten times greater and length of
exposure three times longer than for termites.  In the past we have
removed photographic prints and negatives.  I have heard heard
claims that highly polished metal surfaces and mirrors can be
damaged.  One person suggested that silks may become embrittled from
exposure to Vikane.  If there are recommendations for materials at
potential risk, I would appreciate hearing about it.

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 27, 2002