Subject: Wood fillers

Wood fillers

From: Ian J. Rogan <lvgreyes>
Date: Monday, November 25, 2002
Jeremy Wells <jeremy [at] wells__net> writes

>I'm working on restoring a wooden window. Much of the exterior of
>the window has moderately deep (.25 inch) checks on the weather side
>creating a rough surface. My goal is to smooth the surface without
>removing the wood by using a filler. ...

Truly one the most difficult problems in conserving/restoring
exterior woodwork is selecting a repair system with long-term
performance. Polyester repair compounds such as auto-body fillers
and most conventional epoxy consolidants filled with air and
micro-balloons reduce the flexibility and adhesion strength of the
filler, and provide only a limited solution.

Advanced Repair Technology: Methods and Materials for Building
Conservation, Cherry Valley, New York, have overcome many of the
problems associated with exterior wood repair. We have had excellent
results using their Flex-Tech HV Elastromeric Wood Repair Compound
used in concert with Primatrate Flexible Cell Bonding Primer. Both
products have a high degree of flexural strength to resist cohesion
failure and peel strength to resist adhesion failure. In addition
Flex-Tec is engineered to withstand ultra-violet light degradation,
however painting the wood and surrounding repair to further protect
against Ultra Violet light and moisture degradation is recommend.

Technical Specifications, Product Data Sheets together with Material
Safety Data Sheets are available from
<URL:http://www.advancedrepair.com>

Ian J. Rogan
The LV.Greyes Partnership (Conservators)
Calgary, Alberta T2T 0M4 Canada
403-228-2728
Fax: 403-228-1416

               Distributed: Wednesday, November 27, 2002