Subject: Offgassing

Offgassing

From: William T. Reilly <wryly>
Date: Monday, November 25, 2002
We recently purchased a pallet of Rising Museum Mounting Board, a
product that we have used consistently for 20 years. When the
packages of the most recent purchase are opened, a very strong
ammonia smell is evident. If one places one's nose next to the board
to sniff, the ammonia is present in sufficient concentration to
affect one's eyes. After approximately 30 minutes airing the board
with both sides exposed to the air, the smell dissipates below the
threshold at which it can be detected.

Any experience with this problem, or comments about the suitability
of using this batch of board are welcome. The vendor has been
singularly unhelpful, considering that we have bought from them for
20 years.

Wm T. Reilly
Museum Preparator, Curatorial Associate
Department of Prints and Drawings