Subject: Fingerprints on unglazed pottery

Fingerprints on unglazed pottery

From: Deborah Confer <deborah.confer>
Date: Friday, November 22, 2002
I'm working with a museum studies student (non-conservation) who is
writing a paper about the unglazed, low-fired pottery of American
Indian potter Maria Martinez (San Ildefonso Pueblo, New Mexico,
USA).  As part of the paper, the student would like to address
preventive conservation concerns as well as a discussion of
fingerprints left on these pots before (and likely since) they were
donated to the museum.  We have a policy of wearing gloves to handle
pottery but she would like to know if there is a recommended method
to remove existing fingerprints.  Are there any references that
discuss this situation?

                 Distributed: Friday, November 22, 2002