Subject: Armor

Armor

From: Fernando Lorenzo Gilabert <fergilabert>
Date: Thursday, November 21, 2002
I am working on a collection of XV century armours. Their surfaces
are covered with a slight rust layer. The mechanical work under
magnifying glass is effective but too slow. I tried, successfully,
with a weak NaOH solution (in deionized water): the corrosion layer
became soft and I could remove it with nonmetallic tools
(toothpick).

But, is it enough to wipe and remove with cotton swabs and ethanol
to neutralize the NaOH action? Can the decorated areas (gilded) be
affected?

Fernando Gilabert
Archaeological restorer
El Escorial