Subject: Silicone rubber as an adhesive

Silicone rubber as an adhesive

From: Emily M. O'Brien <emily>
Date: Thursday, November 21, 2002
I am currently treating an archaeological low-fired ceramic vessel
that was previously assembled using a white, rubbery material.  An
isolating layer was not applied to the break edges before the vessel
was assembled.  I tested the adhesive, and its Fourier Transform
Infrared Spectra was almost identical to that of Dow Corning RTV
3110 silicone rubber (Catalyst 1).  My questions are, how stable is
silicone rubber over time?  Is there a possibility that ceramic in
direct contact with silicone rubber may be harmed by it?  Will these
joins fail at some point, causing damage to the vessel?  I'm trying
to decide if I should disassemble the pot in order to remove the
adhesive or if I'm better off just leaving it be. In addition, what
would be the best way of disassembling the vessel if that choice is
made?

Emily M. O'Brien

                 Distributed: Friday, November 22, 2002