Subject: Spine labeling

Spine labeling

From: Dorothy Iams <iams>
Date: Monday, November 11, 2002
I would like to know what other rare book libraries do when changing
the catalog number of an item that already has a catalog number
written in indelible ink on the spine of the  volume.  I have been
inserting a rare book ID strip with the new catalog number.
However, the old number is a distraction for those trying to find
the book on the shelf.  We do not want to deface the book.

Dorothy M. Iams
Collections and Preservation Manager
The Ewell Sale Stewart Library
The Academy of Natural Sciences
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19103-1195
215-405-5076
Fax: 215-299-1144

                Distributed: Thursday, November 14, 2002