Subject: Vinegar syndrome in Dufaycolor

Vinegar syndrome in Dufaycolor

From: Robin Siegel <rsiegel>
Date: Tuesday, November 12, 2002
If you have in your collection, or have seen anywhere, film base
color plates from the 1930s (such as Dufaycolor) with vinegar
syndrome, please contact me. Extreme cases exhibit a
magenta/purplish discoloration and a pattern of channeling that
looks like cracking, often more in the center than the edges. Less
extreme cases have a wet-looking surface and bumps irregularly over
the topography.

I am interested in this deterioration and the effect of light and
ambient temperature on the rate and nature of the change. I am also
interested in any experiences you might have had in scanning these
plates.

Information can be kept confidential if desired.

Robin Siegel
Conservator
National Geographic Society

                Distributed: Thursday, November 14, 2002