Subject: School of Information, UT Austin

School of Information, UT Austin

From: Mary Lynn Rice-Lively <marylynn>
Date: Monday, November 11, 2002
The Graduate School of Library and Information Science at The
University of Texas is changing its name to the School of
Information. The new name reflects the broadening of the profession
in the 21st century and was selected by the faculty to represent
more accurately the diversity of their interests and research.

Provost Sheldon Ekland-Olson said,

    The name change signals a continuing commitment to
    accomplishments of the past as well as a recognition that the
    fields of study in the creation and use of information have
    undergone dramatic changes in the last several years.  It is a
    very exciting and promising time. In the several years I have
    worked with the School of Information I have never seen it more
    energized.

Dean Andrew Dillon says that while the new name was required for
many reasons, the primary motive was to encapsulate a new image of
the field and its possibilities. "Our students and faculty are
working in a domain that has real significance for society," he
said, "and one that must cross boundaries if it is realize its
potential.  We view information as a product and a process that
transcends physical spaces and institutions. Information is our
field of study, from creation to preservation, through use,
organization and management. This School has always covered a wider
range of information issues than most and the new name more
accurately reflects the School's true mission."

The change will not affect degree offerings or organizational
structure for the School, which was founded in 1948 as part of the
Graduate School of The University of Texas and became GSLIS in 1980.
The School of Information anticipates further hires in the coming
years and will be seeking diverse faculty who can help shape the
vision of a new school for a new age.

Mary Lynn Rice-Lively
Associate Dean
School of Information  UT@Austin
Sanchez Building 564
1 University Station  D7000
Austin TX  78712-0390
512-471-2371
Fax: 512-471-3971

                Distributed: Thursday, November 14, 2002