Subject: Marking varnish

Marking varnish

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp>
Date: Thursday, November 14, 2002
Scott Carrlee <scott_carrlee [at] eed__state__ak__us> writes

>Conservator's Emporium is offering a product for use in numbering
>artifacts: PVA marking varnish (15% dissolved in pure alcohol).
>Does anyone have experience with this product, or any thoughts about
>recommending it as a replacement for B-72?

You should be aware that PVA's all have low glass transition
temperatures, between 21-26 degrees Centigrade. Perhaps that is OK
for where you are in Alaska, but in my experience, PVA resins (as
beads) always stick together, and as films they tend to attract
dust, dirt, and stick to packing. I would recommend that you use
B-72. The National Parks Service has a publication on "how to make
your own"
    <URL:http://www.cr.nps.gov/museum/
        publications/conserveogram/01-04.pdf>

        **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped
        for email. There should be no newlines.

Stephen Koob
Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass
One Museum Way
Corning, NY 14830
607-974-8228
Fax: 607-974-8470

                Distributed: Thursday, November 14, 2002