Subject: Bookdrops

Bookdrops

From: Sharon Connell <s.a.connell>
Date: Thursday, November 7, 2002
Our Library is looking for a foam for lining the bookbins in use for
general collections. The aim is to both cushion the books and
elevate the interior of the bins (by 10 inch) to make collecting the
contents easier.

A colleague contacted the firm who supplies the Plastazote (LD45) I
customarily use, and they recommended either LD18 or LD24 (which are
black and green respectively) because they met the criteria she
supplied.

The question is, are these suitable options? Should we be worrying
about chemical stability in this case--with this sort of treatment,
the books will probably fall apart physically before they get a
chance to break down chemically. Has anyone any solutions or
recommendations please?

Sharon Connell
Conservation Officer
Leeds University Library