Subject: Conservation of computer hardware

Conservation of computer hardware

From: Daniel Joest <lcjoest>
Date: Tuesday, November 5, 2002
I am a student of conservation of stone objects at the technical
college Hildesheim which is located near Hanover in northern
Germany.

In the subject "history of conservation" we are asked to write a
paper, for example about conservation techniques, certain objects,
museums or special conservation issues. Since we mostly talk about
historical treatments and objects, I am interested in the
conservation of more modern objects, especially computers. So my
question is if anybody has experiences with conservation of computer
cases and/or the electronic components. That means:

    1.  If anybody has already treated objects: what are the most
        frequently occurring problems?

    2.  What can one do to keep electronic components
        running?

    3.  How can the cases and keyboards, be preserved from further
        discolouring and aging?

Besides the specific questions, I am very glad about any general or
specific hint related to literature, museums, conservators,
institutions or the like.

Daniel Joest
Institute for Conservation
Technical College Hildesheim