Subject: Thymol

Thymol

From: Reni Teygeler <rene.teygeler>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2002
Jenny Dickens <jenny.dickens [at] doi__vic__gov__au> writes

>We have some oak barrel components from a shipwreck which were
>treated by a non-conservator in 1984.  A mixture of PEG and Thymol
>was used.  ...
>The Thymol seems to have been used to prevent biological growth in
>the PEG treatment tank.  The items display surface cracks
>(insufficient PEG seems to have been used) and smell very strongly
>of Thymol.  We will be looking at re-treatment but in the meantime
>need safe storage. ...

Perhaps flexible fumigation enclosures might be of help.

An English company, Rentokil, has developed a reusable and flexible
fumigation enclosure, the Rentokil Bubble. This portable enclosure
is designed for use with methyl bromide, phosphine, or carbon
dioxide. For the use of nitrogen, the company designed a different
line of fumigation enclosures that have a heat-sealable, aluminized
barrier film. These bags are not intended for reuse.

Two researchers at the Getty Conservation Institute (Los Angeles,
California, USA), Kerstin Elert and Shin Maekawa, tested the
enclosures for nitrogen fumigation. The two bubbles, 35 m2 and 6 m2,
were investigated for both the oxygen-transmission characteristics
of the materials and for the gas-tightness of the enclosure. The
tests showed varied results but clearly confirmed the suitability of
the bubbles for anoxia treatment. Some practical limitations,
especially concerning the size of the units, were, however, detected
(Elert and Maekawa 1997).

Rene Teygeler
J.van Effenstraat 23 bis
3511 HJ Utrecht