Subject: Earthenware ceramic

Earthenware ceramic

From: Lisa Bruno <lbruno>
Date: Thursday, October 31, 2002
Isabelle Garachon <i.garachon [at] rijksmuseum__nl> writes

>Helen Privett <helen.privett [at] ngv__vic__gov__au> writes
>
>>I am currently treating a Tang dynasty cream coloured earthenware
>>figure of a horse.  The figure has previously undergone extensive
>>restoration including the insertion of approximately 4mm diameter
>>ferrous dowels into each of the legs; each leg having been broken in
>>at least three places.  ...
>>... removal of the plaster layer has revealed ferrous staining
>>to the cream coloured earthenware.  Has anyone any experience with
>>removal of ferrous stains from unglazed earthenware ceramic?  Is
>>this possible?  ...
>
>The suggestion of S. Koob to get more information about the making
>of Tang horses seems to me a good idea. Although you are probably
>dealing with iron dowels used to restore the legs you could consider
>the possibility the iron are an armature baked with the clay.

Actually, we have found another, similar iron armature on a second
Han Dynasty Horse and Rider as well.  It does sound like you are
dealing with a repair, but it is interesting when you come across
these armatures.

Lisa Bruno
Conservation Department
Brooklyn Museum of Art