Subject: Barcoding

Barcoding

From: Lynn Grant <lgrant0>
Date: Tuesday, October 29, 2002
Our Museum is currently exploring options for barcoding our
collections to assist location tracking.  We currently use all Tyvek
tags for our written accession numbers and, ideally, would like to
just adhere a computer-produced barcode tag to the existing Tyvek
tag, rather than re-introduce paper tags into storage.  However, in
other applications, we've found Tyvek to be a poor substrate for
pressure-sensitive adhesives. I'm currently testing some archival
self-adhesive labels on Tyvek, but does anyone have experience with
this combination or any suggestions?  I've looked through the back
issues of the DistList and found some useful discussions of the
eternal label questions but am hoping for more recent or any
findings not yet shared.

Lynn A. Grant
Conservator
Loans and Traveling Exhibits
University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 30, 2002