Subject: Red ink drawing

Red ink drawing

From: Moyna Stanton <mstanton>
Date: Monday, October 28, 2002
I am examining a drawing in the Museum's collection by the French
painter and printmaker Auguste Raffet (1804-1860).  The subject of
the drawing is the interior of a plainly adorned and spacious temple
filled with figures kneeling in prayer.  The principal medium is a
pen applied red ink--XRF results indicate that it is an organic
color.  Many of the pen and red ink lines were drawn with the aid of
a straight edge but overall the composition was drawn predominantly
free-hand.  I have never seen red ink used in this manner and
wondered if anyone knows more about this drawing medium/technique.
An old clipping from the curatorial file refers to the drawing as
follows:

   "Drawn with a pen and red ink ruler used in getting architectural
    perspective."

Moyna Stanton
Associate Conservator of Paper
Cleveland Museum of Art
Cleveland Ohio

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 30, 2002