Subject: Boxes

Boxes

From: Jerry Shiner <info>
Date: Monday, October 28, 2002
Ala Rekrut <arekrut [at] gov__mb__ca> writes

>My institution is looking for boxes wider than the standard 5"
>boxes, and narrower than the  standard 12" boxes.  Something between
>7" and 9" would be ideal.  (Total dimensions: 10-10-1/2" high X 7-9"
>wide X 15" deep.)  While local companies can provide us with
>ordinary acidic cardboard versions in this size, and we have found
>several sources for better quality paperboard versions, does anyone
>know of a North American supplier of a corrugated plastic (i.e.
>Coroplast, Corex) box in this size?

It is not likely you will find the fluted plastic box you desire
ready-made.

Cardboard boxes are ubiquitous in general commerce, but their
apparently universal availability is not true of more unusual
packaging materials, such as fluted polypropylene sheeting. These
materials are much more expensive, and are only used for a very few
applications in commercial shipping and packaging.

Fluted plastic boxes generally must be made from die cut and creased
material, and each of these dies will cost at least a couple of
hundred dollars. The set up costs for preparing the machinery to
utilize the dies to create boxes will cost a couple of hundred more
dollars. Once the die is made, it belongs to the customer, not the
manufacturer, so the plant can't just run the boxes off without
permission.

That said, there are many firms that can produce the boxes you need.
If you are prepared to spend at least a thousand dollars or so,
making as many boxes as you might ever need will not be a problem.
Please feel free to contact me off list should you need more
information.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems
Supplies and Solutions for oxygen-free and micro climate storage

                Distributed: Wednesday, October 30, 2002